Friday 14 January 2011

I've been reading loads of travel blogs recently and have been slightly shocked by how relatable everyone's stories are. It's as if I've written parts myself! I guess the effects of travelling is just something that only another traveller can understand and it doesn't matter how different you are, the experience of travelling will always unite you.
Over the next few days I will post a couple of quotes from these fellow traveller's blogs. Here is the first, from a Peace Corp volunteer after service in Vanuatu, my home from home:

"Saying goodbye here is so hard because we may not ever see these people again. It's sort of like planning an infinite funeral. We can send letters and photos, but it will probably all be very one sided, with few replies. We'll fly across the world with an invisible thread connecting our hearts forever to a tiny, largely unknown island in the South Pacific. No matter how many stories, pictures, speeches, and examples we share with people back home, it will be impossible to convey how much this whole experience has completely rocked our world, changed our perspective and given us a new pair of life goggles."
(Bittersweet Goodbyes, by Sheridan: http://www.travelblog.org/Oceania/Vanuatu/blog-541005.html)

When i read this I nearly cried, it is exactly how I felt, how I still feel about the 'bittersweet goodbye' Whilst I was happy and excited to go home, doing what I believed was the best natural progression, saying goodbye was a huge challenge The thought of never seeing these people, that I considered, ever again was heartbreaking I think of them everyday, and pray that one day I will see them all again

No comments:

Post a Comment